Some schools are also using Classlist for school-parent as well as parent-parent and PTA-parent communication.
There are two ways to add a member of school staff to Classlist. The first method creates the staff member as an Admin member of your Classlist community: they will have access to the admin side of Classlist to send announcements out to classes, but no access to the parent side, and they cannot communicate with parents via individual messages.
The second method gives the staff member as a 'parent' account: this gives teachers access to the parent side of Classlist, and so they can communicate with parents via Classlist individual messages as well as sending announcements from the teacher to the class group. (see how to set up this method below).
Method 1 - Staff Admin access only
The School Staff Admin role can be used by a member of staff to help do member approvals and set up the school structure. Staff Admins can also send announcements and create community events, but they can't access the parent side of Classlist.
Some schools appoint class teachers as Staff Admins to allow them to send announcements and events to their class. Staff Admins can see and reply to comments on their announcements and events, but because they cannot access the parent part of Classlist, parent members cannot initiate contact with them individually via Messages, and vice versa.
To invite a member of school staff to become a Classlist Staff Admin
- Only Ambassadors and Staff Admins can invite other Staff Admins
- Go to the 'School Profile' page in the green Admin side, find the Staff Admin section and tap the 'invite' button.
- Enter the staff member's name, email address and a label (eg Head Teacher/School Secretary) in the dialogue box.
- The staff member will immediately appear as 'invited' on the School Profile page in the green admin side.
- The member of staff will receive an email inviting them to join (see below).
- They will set a password and can login.
Please note that approval email notifications cannot be turned off; if members of staff who are on your site as Staff Admins do not wish to deal with approvals you will need ask them simply to ignore approvals emails or set up an inbox rule to ignore them. After the initial mass join-up phase there shouldn't be too much extra email traffic from approvals, but it is possible that for instance a headteacher may not want to have a Staff Admin status themselves as a result.
Method 2 - 'Parent' membership for teachers who want to communicate directly with parents or with each other, or take part in groups
This method allows teachers to join Classlist using a parent account, accessing the parent view of Classlist. If you want staff members with 'parent' accounts to be able to send and receive private messages with parents (as well as send group announcements and events to their classes) then use this method.
We recommend staff join a 'year group' called "Staff" rather than becoming a member of their own class group alongside parents, so that they do not waste time receiving parent-to-parent messages sent within the class group, (eg end of year 'Collection for the teacher' and 'Has anyone brought home Tom's PE kit?' posts). Classlist is designed for parents to reply and help each other. If the teacher is in the class group the parents may expect them to reply, even outside school hours, which may not be ideal!
Staff members with 'parent' accounts can send announcements and events to their class without being part of the class group if you assign them Community Rep admin status. They can also send and receive parent private messages as Community Reps.
To invite a member of staff to join Classlist as a Parent member:
- Add a year group called 'Staff' to your school structure.
- Staff members should be invited to have 'parent accounts' by any admin using the staff member's email address on the admin side Invite Parents page.
- The invited member of staff will receive an invitation email with a link to the parent registration site in the same way that any parent would.
Instructions for staff joining
- The member of staff should select 'Parent' not 'Staff' on the first page of the registration form.
- They will need to add a pupil name and class during registration. They should choose 'Staff' for class/year.
- For pupil name they can say 'Staff Pupil' or 'Miss Brodie's account' as it will help to make it extra clear to all parents that this is not a real child.
- Members of staff who join as parents from an admin email invitation in this way will be pre-approved, just like any other parent would be, so they will have immediate access to the Classlist community without waiting for admin approval.
- After the teacher joins, go to the School Profile page and give them Community Rep status
- The staff member will show in the school structure as having a pupil in 'Staff' year group
- NB The pupil can be deleted on the School Structure page. If the pupil is deleted parents will not be able to private message the staff, as the staff will not appear in the member list. But in that case the staff member may as well have a Staff Admin account, unless they want to utilise other groups in the parent side of Classlist such as PTA Committee group or the Staff group.
Important: enabling staff to join Classlist using a parent account means that staff can be sent messages by parents out of school hours or in the holidays. Staff should be advised to only check their email during working hours, and if using the app to turn off push notifications from Classlist if they wish.