These detailed launch pages are aimed at the pioneering Ambassador/s who will be populating their school's site with the basic initial content. Congratulations Ambassadors: you are going to be your school site's superstars!
Below we will go into more detail on how to:
- Add your classes to Classlist.
- Invite some friends to join you in a class
- Add a profile picture
- Download the app
- Take a look at the parent side of Classlist
- Assign your friends to an Admin status such as Class Admin
At this point you are simply laying down some foundations and you can undo or change things at any point. Even if you put all your friends into one class you can always delete it or move them later.
1. Add your Classes to Classlist
- Click the Manage School link included in the 'your account has been upgraded' welcome email. This will take you to the green Admin Mode - you may need to enter your password to login. Go to the School Structure page (find it in the navigation side bar on the left hand side of your desktop screen).
- Set up/check your Year and Class structure. The School Structure will eventually reflect how the years and classes are arranged at your school. The structure is already populated with a list of common possible Years. To rename or delete any you do not need, tap the pencil icon next to the Year you want to change and select edit or delete. If you want to add a new Year, start writing the name of the Year where it says 'Type Year name' above the list of Years, then tap Add. The Add button remains greyed out until you have typed in some text. Do the same to add Classes to the Class column. You can edit your Year and Class names later.
- (Optional) Set up the rest of your school structure. You can complete your whole school structure now if you like, using the correct names for each year and class. It will save doing it later, and makes it easier for parents to join your site. More detailed information on the school structure is available here.
2. Invite some friends to join you.
Communities need people to work, so let's invite some friends. It's a good idea to warn them first so they can look out for your invitation.
- All you need is their email address. Go to the Add and Invite page in the side bar navigation. Select 'invite by email', enter a few friends' email addresses and click send. They can click through from the email invitation and sign up in minutes. If you don't have their email addresses handy just ask them to register directly at classlist.com
- If you only set up one Year and Class, your invitees will need to join the same class for now. Even if the first parents you invite have children in different classes in real life, if they have agreed to help as trail blazers you can start with them in the same class. You can move them around later when your site goes live to the whole school.
3. Adding a Profile Picture and Pupils.
You can skip this if you have already done it during the registration process. Go to your profile at the top of the sidebar navigation in the blue Parent Mode. Read more about how to add your profile picture and pupil details.
- Click the photo icon on your profile page. Browse your device to find a photo of yourself to upload. It will add a really personal touch and helps other parents to recognise you.
- Click the Add Pupil button. This will bring up a dialogue box for you to enter some details.
- You can add more than one Pupil. If you have several children at the school simply add as many as you need.
4. Download the App.
Once your site is set up, most people will probably use their mobile to interact with it, so get ahead and download the app!
5. Congratulations! You have now set up your Classlist site, let's go and take a look!
You can swap between Parent Mode and Admin Mode at any time. When you are in Parent Mode you view the site exactly as other parents will see it, and you have the same rights as any other parent. You will soon get used to the idea that to access the additional Admin functions you need to be in the green Admin Mode. Notice that on both the green admin side and the blue parent side, the page you are currently using is highlighted in a darker colour in the sidebar navigation, so you can always see which page you are on.
We have added some pre-fabricated event content based around an 'Outdoor Movie Night' so you can see how it looks. Feel free to add your own welcome messages and events: you can cancel or edit them later and you can put 'test' the title if you like so you can have a play around with the features without worrying about confusing other parents when they join.
6. Assign some approved parents to an Admin status.
Once the parents you invited have joined up you can assign them Ambassador or Admin status so that they can take a look at both the Admin Mode and the Parent Mode of Classlist. You can also invite school staff to be administrators. You can do all this from the 'School & admin profile' page in the side navigation.
- Click the pink + symbol in the appropriate section to add an admin user. This will open a dialogue box; just enter the name of the parent you wish to promote. They will receive an email letting them know they have been promoted.
Important: The school staff feature is best used to add a school secretary or other administrative user. School staff do not have access to the parent areas of Classlist or parent content. For more information on adding school staff, please click here.
Ready for Part Two - Get going?