Now that you have your Classlist site for your school you can set up some initial content.
To be guided through set up you can use the Set-Up Wizard.
This will guide you through the basics of setting up your site, and the wizard will launch the first time you logon on a computer.
NB: The wizard doesn't launch on a mobile phone so you'll need to do this on your computer, and it's useful to have a wider screen anyway. If you first login on your phone, please go to your computer just to get started. Once you're up and running you can do pretty much everything on your phone. Launch wizard.
Below we will go into more detail on how to:
- Add your first classes to Classlist.
- Invite some friends to join you in the test class
- Add a profile picture
- Download the app
- Take a look at the parent side of Classlist
- Assign your friends to an Admin status such as Class Rep
At this point you are simply laying down some foundations and you can undo or change things at any point. Even if you put all your friends into one class you can always delete it or move them later.
1. Add your first Class to Classlist
- Click the link included in your set-up email, if you haven't already. This will take you to the password creation page. You simply need to create a password and login to get started.
- To guide you through the set up process the Classlist Set-Up Wizard will launch. This will guide you through the basics of setting up your site. You can return to the wizard here.
- Set up one Year and Class. The first section the wizard takes you to is the school structure, which will eventually reflect how the years and classes are arranged at your school. To create a single year in the first column, just enter the name (eg Year One) on the black line where the prompt says 'type Year name' and click Add. The Add button remains greyed out until you have typed in some text. Do the same with the class column. You can call your year and class whatever you like, and you can edit it later.
- (Optional) Set up the rest of your school structure. You can complete your whole school structure now if you like, using the real names for each year and class. It will save doing it later, and the first people who join can add their pupils to the correct class when they register. More detailed information on the school structure is available here. Alternatively, you can return to the school structure later.
2. Invite some friends to join you.
Communities need people to work, so let's invite some friends.
- All you need is their email address. During the set-up wizard, simply enter the email addresses of some friends who have agreed to be your trail blazers and click send. They can click through from the email invitation and sign up in minutes. If you don't have their email addresses handy just ask them to register directly at classlist.com
- If you only set up one Year and Class, your invitees will need join the same class for now. Even if the first parents you invite have children in different classes in real life, if they have agreed to help as trail blazers you can start with them in the same class. You can move them around later when your site goes live to the whole school.
3. Adding a Profile Picture and Pupils.
You will now be prompted to add your own profile picture and pupil details.
- Click the upload profile picture button. Browse your device to find a photo of yourself to upload. It will add a really personal touch and helps other parents to recognise you.
- Click the Add Pupil button. This will bring up a dialogue box for you to enter some details.
- You can add more than one Pupil. If you have several children at the school simply add as many as you need.
You have now completed the Set up wizard.
4. Download the App.
Once your site is set up, most people will probably use their mobile to interact with it, so get ahead and download the app!
5. Congratulations! You have now set up your Classlist site, let's go and take a look!
You can now swap to the parent side and check out what other parents will see when they join Classlist.
We have added some pre-fabricated event content based around an 'Outdoor Movie Night' so you can see how it looks. Why not start adding your own welcome messages and events: you can cancel or edit them later.
6. Assign some approved parents to an Admin status.
Once the parents you invited have joined up you can now assign them Ambassador or Admin status so that they can take a look at both the Admin side and the Parent side of Classlist. You can also invite school staff to be administrators. You can do this from the 'Manage School' page under the school tab.
- Click the pink + symbol in the appropriate section to add an admin. This will open a dialogue box, just enter the name of the parent you wish to promote. They will receive an email letting them know they have been promoted.
Important: The school staff feature is best used to add a school secretary or other administrative user. School staff do not have access to the parent parts of Classlist or parent content. For more information on adding school staff, please click here.
Ready for Part Two - Get going?