Now that you have your school site you will need to begin preparing it. This first stage doesn’t take much time and is best shared with a small group, just to get to grips with how your future parents will be able to interact with each other. From here you will be laying down some foundations before you start rolling everything out to the wider school-parent community.
- Add your first Class to Classlist
- Inviting some friends to join you
- Adding a profile picture
- Download the app
- Take a look at the parent side of Classlist
- Promote your invited parents to Ambassador status
You will need:
- A rather charming photo of yourself
- An understanding of how your school’s years and classes are arranged
- A couple of friends to try everything out (and their email addresses)
1. Add your first Class to Classlist
Setting up your profile is quick and easy, just follow the on-screen instructions and you'll be done in no time.
- Click the link found in your set-up email. This will take you to the profile creation page. You will need to create a password and add your pupil details.
- You will now be directed to the Classlist Set-Up Wizard. Click start to begin setting up your School Structure. You can return to the wizard here. The wizard works best on computers not phones, but everything in future can be done on your phone.
- The School Structure is the backbone your Classlist site. It allows parents to join particular Classes and Years. To create a Year or Class, just enter the name and click Add. Don’t worry about the pupils yet, this area will fill up as parents join!
- Set up a test Year and Class. You can invite your friends to join this Class so that you can test out all of Classlist's features.
- (Optional) Set up the rest of your school structure. You can complete your school structure now if you like. It will save doing it later.
Please Note: Years are the top tier, you can add a number of Classes to sit within a Year. Alternatively, a Year itself can contain pupils if it has no Classes.
2. Invite some friends to join you.
Communities need people to work, so let's invite some friends. For now, we just need a few to trial all of Classlist's features!
- All you need is an email address. During the set-up wizard, simply enter the email addresses of a couple of friends to instantly send them a Classlist invite. They can sign up in minutes. Don't worry if you don't have their emails - you can ask them to register directly at classlist.com
- Keep everyone in the same class for now. Though the parents you invite might be in different classes, it's best to test the features by pretending everyone is in the same class. You can always move around later!
3. Adding a Profile Picture and Pupils.
You will now be prompted to add your own profile picture and pupil details.
- Click the upload profile picture button. Now find a photo of yourself to upload. It will add a really personal touch and helps other parents to recognise you.
- Click the Add Pupil button. This will bring up a dialogue box for you to enter some details.
- You can add more than one Pupil. If you have multiple children at the school simply add as many as you need.
4. Download the App.
Now that you've invited some friends to join you will need to wait for them to sign up. While you wait, why not download the app?
5. Congratulations! You have now set up your Classlist site, let's go take a look!
You can now swap to the parent side and check out what other parents will see when they join Classlist.
We have added some pre-fabricated content based around a 'School Movie Night' so you can see how all of the features work together to create something incredible. Now start adding your own.
6. Promote your invited parents to Ambassador status.
Once the parents you invited have joined up you can now promote them to Ambassador status so that they can take a look at both the Admin side and the Parent side of Classlist. You can do this from the 'My School' page.
- Click the pink + symbol in the appropriate section to add an administrator. This will open a dialogue box, just enter the name of the parent you wish to promote. They will receive an email letting them know they have been promoted.
Important: The school staff feature is best used to add a school secretary or other administrative user, for more information on adding school staff, please click here.