Now that you have your Classlist site for your school you might like to have a test run with some friends before rolling it out to the whole school. Here we will take you through how to:
- Add your first 'test' class to Classlist
- Invite some friends to join you in the test class
- Add a profile picture
- Download the app
- Take a look at the parent side of Classlist
- Assign your friends to an Admin status
At this point you are simply laying down some foundations and you can undo or change things at any point. If you are super keen to launch the site to the whole school straight away, you can follow the same steps but remember the structures you create and the information you enter must accurately reflect real life, otherwise you will really confuse parents when they try to join!
You will need:
- A rather charming photo of yourself
- A couple of friends willing to try everything out (and their email addresses)
1. Add your first Class to Classlist
- Click the link included in your set-up email. This will take you to the profile creation page. You will need to create a password and add your child's details.
- You will now be directed to the Classlist Set-Up Wizard. This will guide you through the basics of setting up your site. You can return to the wizard here. It's best to follow the wizard on a computer rather than a mobile phone becuase it's useful to have a bigger screen, but once you're up and running you can do pretty much everything on your phone.
- Set up a test Year and Class. The first section the wizard will take you to is the school structure, which will eventually show how the years and classes are arranged at your school. To create a single test year in the first column, just enter the name (eg Test Year) on the black line where the prompt says 'type Year name' and click Add. The Add button remains greyed out until you have typed in some text. Do the same with the class column. You can call your test year and class whatever you like since you will just be inviting your friends at this stage. Don’t worry about adding the pupils yet, this will happen automatically as your friends join.
- (Optional) Set up the rest of your school structure. You can complete your whole school structure now if you like, using the real names for each year and class. It will save doing it later but if you just want to have a play around to explore how the site works you can skip this. More detailed information on the structure is available here.
2. Invite some friends to join you.
Communities need people to work, so let's invite some friends. For now, we just need a few to trial all of Classlist's features!
- All you need is an email address. During the set-up wizard, simply enter the email addresses of the friends who have agreed to be your guinea pigs and click send. They can click through from the email invitation and sign up in minutes. If you don't have their email addresses handy just ask them to register directly at classlist.com
- Keep everyone in your test class for now. Even if the parents you invite have children in different classes in real life, it's best to test the features by pretending everyone is in the same class. You will need to move around later when your site goes live to the whole school!
3. Adding a Profile Picture and Pupils.
You will now be prompted to add your own profile picture and pupil details.
- Click the upload profile picture button. Browse your device to find a photo of yourself to upload. It will add a really personal touch and helps other parents to recognise you.
- Click the Add Pupil button. This will bring up a dialogue box for you to enter some details - you may not need to do this if you added all your children at the first stage.
- You can add more than one Pupil. If you have several children at the school simply add as many as you need.
4. Download the App.
Now that you've invited some friends to join you will need to wait for them to sign up. While you wait, why not download the app?
5. Congratulations! You have now set up your Classlist site, let's go and take a look!
You can now swap to the parent side and check out what other parents will see when they join Classlist.
We have added some pre-fabricated event content based around an 'Outdoor Movie Night' so you can see how all of the features work together to create something incredible. Now you can start adding your own.
6. Assign your invited parents to an Admin status.
Once the parents you invited have joined up you can now assign them Ambassador status so that they can take a look at both the Admin side and the Parent side of Classlist. You can do this from the 'Manage School' page under the school tab.
- Click the pink + symbol in the appropriate section to add an administrator. This will open a dialogue box, just enter the name of the parent you wish to promote. They will receive an email letting them know they have been promoted.
Important: The school staff feature is best used to add a school secretary or other administrative user, for more information on adding school staff, please click here.