If you are trying to begin the 'Move Up' procedure on Classlist, please follow this link:
Classlist's School Structure was highlighted in the 'Getting Started - The Set Up Wizard, this page will go into more detail and explain how different styles of school structure can be created, perfectly matched for your school.
The 'School Structure' System is how your school itself is organised. Each Year represents a big group potentially containing a cluster of smaller groups called Classes (though you can swap your classes and years if your school does things a little differently).
Parents can post and interact with other parents within the individual class their child is in, or message the year group. Each of these Years falls into an even bigger 'Whole School' group, which parents can also communicate through.
We understand how important it is that this process be completed correctly, so we've made sure that setting it up is as quick and easy as possible. Below is an example image of how a school can be set up, with Years and Classes populated by pupils.
Editing the School Structure.
- The Year and Class tiers. Each 'Year' can contain multiple 'Classes' and each Class can then be filled with pupils. A 'Year' with no 'Classes' can also be filled with pupils.
- Adding a Year / Class. To add a 'Year / Class' just click on the 'Add Year/Class' button and enter a name.
- Editing a Year / Class. To edit the name of a 'Year/Class' just click the pencil icon next to the particular entity you wish to edit. This will allow you to change the name, or delete it if you wish. The 'Year/Class' needs to be emptied before it can be deleted.
Moving a Pupil(s)
- Click to select. To select a pupil (s) you just need to click on them. You can select multiple pupils at once or click the 'Select All' button to select every pupil in your current Year/Class selection.
- Click and Drag. To move a pupil (s) just click and drag once you have selected them. You can drag them directly into a new Class (or Year, if it has no Classes within it). You can drag multiple pupils at once.
- Use the Search Box. You can also send selected pupils to another Class/Year by selecting a new class from the drop-down box.
- Deleting pupils. Once you have selected pupils, you can delete them. This will not remove a parent from Classlist, but will remove their association with a particular Class/Year.
Tip: Only delete pupils if you are 100% certain you need to. If you remove a pupil by mistake, send the parent a message. They can re-add a pupil by visiting their profile.
Different School Structures
- Standard Year > Class. Most schools will have Years that have multiple Classes within them. Just set up your Years, then add the Classes to the correct year.
- Single Class per Year. If you have single Classes per year, or some Years with just one Class, you can simply create Years. Years act as Classes if they have no Classes within them. This will just simplify communication later.
- Multiple Years per Class. If you have a structure that has multiple Years within one Class do not worry. You can set up as normal. You can also reverse the structure, having your Years as named classes, and then using Classes to seperate the years.
School 1 has the following 'Classes', with two 'Years' in some classes, but a 'Year' group spread across two 'Classes' too. This makes it hard to use the two tier structure.
Their classes are:
Foundation:F2Red RobinsBluebirdsYears 1&2:1W1/2ME2PYears 3&4:3W3/4B4KYears 5&6:5L5/6S6OThe parents will be in 2 groups for each child. Their 'Year' e.g. years 5 & 6, and their class e.g. 6O. That means they can communicate easily with both groups, and can see contact details/classlists for the the people in those groups.