- You need to have an account with PayPal for your PTA/Friends Association. Sports clubs have found that this Paypal should be a personal account, rather than a business account. If you create a business account, it seems your charity will be subject to money laundering restrictions depending on the volume of transactions.
- Once your account is open, you need to call PayPal Support. Once logged in to your PayPal account, select Help > Call us > (note the passcode number) > call 0800 368 7141 ask for Business Support and explain that your are applying for not-for-profit status. You can email email@example.com if you have difficulty getting through, but experience has shown that a phone call is swiftest if you can get through.
- PayPal will send you a request for information which will allow them to make a decision.
- Upload the documents required into the PayPal site (NB all documents must be in pdf format), and reply to the email.
- You should receive a response from PayPal within 48 hours and if your NFP status is accepted, lower charges will be applied to your account within 7 days. Experience has shown that your status may change without you being notified.