- You need to have an account with PayPal for your PTA/Friends Association. Sports clubs have found that this Paypal should be a personal account, rather than a business account. If you create a business account, it seems your charity will be subject to money laundering restrictions depending on the volume of transactions.
- Once your account is open, you need to call PayPal Support. Once logged in to your PayPal account, select Help > Call us > (note the passcode number) > call 0800 368 7141 ask for Business Support and explain that your are applying for not-for-profit status. You can email email@example.com if you have difficulty getting through, but experience has shown that a phone call is swiftest if you can get through.
- PayPal will send you a request for information which will allow them to make a decision.
- Upload the documents required into the PayPal site (NB all documents must be in pdf format), and reply to the email.
- You should receive a response from PayPal within 48 hours and if your NFP status is accepted, lower charges will be applied to your account within 7 days. Experience has shown that your status may change without you being notified.
Note from Classlist. We recommend Stripe, not Paypal. (NB we do not make any gain from whichever service you use). However Stripe is integrated into our app so is much easier for parents to pay with. They don't have to enter name, email when making a purchase. Just card details.