One page guide for Staff Admins inviting parents to Classlist
Below are some simple steps to follow for set up and launch of Classlist at your school, which you can do in under an hour.
First, we have made a 90 second video to show you easy it is. After viewing the video follow the instructions below.
Set up your school's Classlist site (15 mins)
- Set up your account at our website
- Make sure you have the correct years and classes listed on the School Structure page.
- Add your school logo and a photo on the School Profile page.
Ask reps to explore and populate Classlist (allow 2-3 days)
- It is helpful for the PTA and parent reps to join Classlist before the other parents, so they can write a few Welcome messages and put up some events and get-togethers for parents to see when they join
- You can give the reps their admin status on Classlist when sending them an email invitation here. Admin status gives them the extra features they will need, such as creating Community events and sending Announcements to any group of parents.
- Ask the PTA Chair to write a welcome message on the School Profile page - that is sent to new joiners 24 hours after they join
- Ask your Ambassadors and reps to add some events, create some interest groups, add some items to the Marketplace
- After parents have joined you can give and change their Admin status via the School Profile page. A summary of the admin roles is here.
- You can invite another Staff Member to be a Classlist Staff Admin too from the School Profile page. There is more about the different admin roles here.
Launch Classlist and invite every parent (30 mins)
- Send a letter to parents saying you will be inviting them to Classlist shortly. Here is a template letter and there are other options here.
- Then invite the parents from the Invite Parents page using their email addresses. Here is a guide to uploading the emails. It is easiest to upload a csv/spreadsheet with parent email and class details. An invitation will be sent when you input the emails and choose 'send'.
You can also just copy and paste in email addresses to invite parents quickly, without specifying class.
There are some advantages of specifying class when you invite them, if you can.
- Parents invited by admins in this way with their email address will be auto-approved. These parents will receive admin announcements sent once they have been invited, meaning that all parents can be reached by your admins via Classlist right away.
- If you specify year and class when you invite the parents, they will receive announcements sent to the year or class. So reps can reach all parents in the class even before they join.
- There are several other ways to invite parents too, such as generating a QR code flyer to give out at new family induction meetings. Those pre-approve families too.
- Parents who register without an invitation need individual approval by an admin.
- We also recommend you add details about Classlist and its logo and link to your school website and parent portal, and put details in your new family induction pack.
Our Community Playbook with more details of best practice on launching a Classlist community can be found attached below.
Schools on the Pro version of Classlist
- We offer a set up consultation for schools on the Pro version of Classlist. Once you have set up an account let us know and we can go through any questions you have before launch.
We recommend your PTA have a demo of Classlist before launch. Book that here.
- We also offer training for 2 members of your PTA on community management if you are on the Pro paid plan.
If you have practical questions about how to do things on Classlist you can find most answers by searching in our Help Centre. You can also contact our support desk with a help ticket any time as well for a fast personal response (create a help ticket at the top right of this page).
We are here to help you launch Classlist