We believe Stripe is better than Paypal for paying on Classlist for a number of reasons.
- the Stripe payment mechanism is integrated into our app
- parents aren't taken to an external page (see screenshots)
- as we have the member name and email we don't need to ask for those, or for address
- the parent simply types in card number, expiry, CVC and postcode.
- So it is much quicker and easier for a parent to pay with Stripe
In addition Stripe charges PTAs 1.2% + 20p (in the UK) compared to Paypal's 1.4%+20p - and Stripe give you charity status on the basis of an email with your charity documentation. Whereas we previously heard from some PTAs it was a nightmare getting charitable status with Paypal.
NB Classlist does not charge its own platform fees on top of the Stripe/Paypal fees. Other platforms do. We cover our costs with sponsored ads.
Unfortunately the Paypal payment page is completely run by Paypal and there is nothing we can do to change it....it is not integrated in our app. These are some of the reasons we prefer Stripe to Paypal:
- Paypal forces people with Paypal accounts to login to their account to pay. So if they detect from your card number or email that you have a Paypal account they simply won't let you pay by typing in your card. They don't always make it clear why they are refusing a transaction. [We guess they must make more money if you pay by card within the account].
- Paypals display an opt in 'save this information with a Paypal account' which they have ticked for you - so some parents may end up setting up Paypal accounts when paying by card - and not noticing they have. Then next time they go to pay on Classlist Paypal will want them to pay by logging in if they detect the card or email....
- It maybe also be that Paypal has a cookie on the payment page and remembers your account, and if you have an account asks you to login and doesn't even give you the card option. It has been reported to us they don't always show 'pay by card'.
- Paypal are not good on customer service and when we have asked questions about this sort of thing before they either don't respond, or don't respond for several days and then write a reply which doesn't answer the question!
- Paypal also offers pending payments like e-cheques which may not clear for several days. This could mean that someone could attend your event before their money cleared so we show the tickets as pending until paid. For this reason we have not enabled Paypal payments for public events/guest checkout because we don't feel that it is appropriate in that situation, whilst within the school the pending payments haven't caused issues.
- Stripe is uncomplicated and is simply a card payment processor. They don't play games and you put your card details in and pay if your card is valid.
It doesn't make any difference to us which you use, apart from we want Classlist members to have the best experience and we don't think Paypal offers that!
So we wholeheartedly recommend Stripe. Here is how to set up Stripe.