Classlist's private messaging service allows you to connect with other parents in your school community, without having to exchange contact details or seek them out and send a friend request. It works like sending an email, but the messages are stored within your Classlist site rather than in your email inbox.
A badge notification will let you know when there is a new message waiting for you: the image below shows the message notification on the desktop (left), and on the app (right).
You may also receive an email notification to let you know you have a message, depending on your notification settings. Click on the message icon to go to your Messages inbox.
The Messages page
From the Messages page, you can read new and old messages from your inbox as well as create new messages to send to other parents.
- The Inbox. Messages sent to you by other parents or groups of parents will be displayed in a list when you go to the messages page; once you open a message, you will see all previous exchanges in that thread. New/unread messages are highlighted in yellow (see message from Adeola below).
- Reading your messages. Tap on the name of the sender/s to open a message. If there is only one sender their profile photo will be displayed next to their name (eg Jeff's message above). If there is more than one person in the conversation you will see the double speech bubble next to the name of the person who initiated the conversation. To find out who else is in the conversation, even if they haven't yet added a comment, open the message and tap the note at the top which shows the sender's name eg 'Caterina and 3 others'. The other names will appear in a list below.
- Sending a message. To send a message, either reply to a message you have received by typing into the text box below the existing message, or go back to the inbox and tap on 'New Message' at the top right of the page. Tap 'Add recipient(s) +' and add the name of the person you want to message. Then click into the free text box at the bottom of the page, write your message and tap 'Send' when you're done.
- Received messages. Your message icon will display a badge notification letting you know how many new messages you have received since you last checked.
- Leaving a conversation. You can leave a conversation at any time by tapping the grey X next to each conversation in the inbox. This will bring up a dialogue box for you to confirm you want to leave, as in the image below. At the moment you can't delete other people from the conversation, so you will need to start a new conversation if you want someone who was originally included to be taken off the addressee list. We are working on fixing this!
When you are sent a message the default setting is that you will receive an email as well as a badge notification on the site. If you like you can change this in your notification settings.
All replies are also notified to all recipients by email.
Tips and tricks