There are two main ways for Admin users to invite parents to join Classlist. You can invite parents using their email address, or through apps such as Facebook, WhatsApp, SMS and iMessenger on the parent side of Classlist.
Inviting by email from the green Admin portal has some key advantages, which are described below. If you need advice on collecting parent email addresses, we have plenty available.
Don't worry if you don't have any contact details for the parents - you can let them know that they can register directly at www.classlist.com. All parents who register for Classlist need to be approved by one of your Admin users, before they can become a Classlist user.
Inviting Via Email from the Admin portal
Inviting parents via email from the Admin portal is the most effective method of getting parents to join up for Classlist, and it allows you to track the progress of your invitations. You can do it from the 'Add and Invite' page of the green Admin portal.
- You can enter single or multiple email adresses. If your PTA or Friends group already maintains a contact list, entering multiple email addresses enables you to invite a whole class at a time: simply copy and paste your list of email addresses in the text box and select a class from the drop down list. The invitations will be sent out instantly. Single invitations work the same way.
- Parents invited by email will become Non-Member contacts until they sign up. Non-Member contacts receive emailed Announcements and Community Event invitations but they miss out on all the other benefits of Classlist. This allows you to keep them in the loop even if they are a little slow off the mark signing up, and you can communicate with everyone you have invited from day one! Non-Member contacts are only visible to Admin users; other parents won't be able to find them. For more information on Non-Member contacts, please click here.
- Be ready to approve the parents. Once a parent has signed up they will need to be approved by an Admin user. You can do this from the 'Approve Parents' section; you will also get notifications about parent approval on your Admin Dashboard.
Tracking the Invitations
If you have invited parents via email from the Admin portal, you will be able to track who has signed up, when and who they were invited by, and you can choose to re-send the invitation if you feel they would benefit from a reminder nudge.
A number of different symbols will appear next to the names of those invited, informing you of the status of their invitation.
Remember that all parents whom you have invited by email, but who have not yet signed up, will be classified as a Non-Member. They will still receive announcements and information about community events.
Inviting as a Parent user via email, Facebook, WhatsApp and iMessenger
Parent users (with no admin status) can also invite their friends via email from the blue Parent portal. From the Parent portal you can also recommend Classlist to friends through the use of apps such as Facebook and WhatsApp: Whatsapp and other similar apps can also only be accessed if you are using the Classlist app on your mobile.
- Inviting parents this way acts as a recommendation. Sending an invitation this way does not invite the parent as a Non-Member contact, it is just an invitation to visit the Classlist corporate site; they will then need to sign up to Classlist and be approved before they receive any messages including Announcements.
- You must be on a mobile device on the parent side of Classlist to invite parents via WhatsApp etc. On the Classlist app (blue parent side), select the 'Invite parents' option from the main menu and follow the instructions on screen to choose from Facebook, WhatsApp or other options.
NB Parents who are invited from the blue Parent portal of Classlist are not recorded as Non-Member contacts and won't receive announcements and community events unless they sign up.
We have various flyers, postcards, posters and letters you can use to invite parents to Classlist. Find them in the Resources section.