Building your basic school structure
- Adding a Year / Class. To add a 'Year / Class' just start typing where it says 'type year/class name' in grey text above the Year or Class column, then click on the 'Add' button to save the new name into the structure.
- Editing or deleting a Year / Class. To edit the name of a 'Year/Class' which already exists, just click the pencil icon next to the name you wish to edit. This will allow you to change the name. You can also delete a Year or Class if you wish but note that the Year/Class must be empty of pupils before it can be deleted.
If you already have children listed in a year or class, you will not be able to delete the tiers. You can move the children temporarily into a separate year created for the purpose (eg labelled temp year, or unassigned) while you work on the tiers, but be aware that any parents who register and do not specify a year or class will have been allocated automatically to the 'unassigned' group. Be careful not to mix children from different years and classes in the temp or unassigned group.
The format of Year and Class names
The Classlist system will sort the years and classes alphabetically. This is fine if you are writing Year 1, Year 2 etc. but not if your Years are named according to a different system. You can override the alphabetical ordering by adding a number before the proper name if you want the list to appear in a logical order (see the images below).
Whatever format you choose, stick to the same one throughout, eg if you enter Year One for the first year, don't then write Y2 for the second year. Keeping the same format means they will be listed in a logical order.
Years may not be listed in a logical order when sorted alphabetically by the system:
Add a number in front of the year (or class) name if you want the system to sort them in a specific order which matches your school:
Moving a Pupil(s)
- Click to select. To select a pupil (s) you just need to click and release on their name in the right hand column. You can select multiple pupils one after the other, or click the 'Select All' button to select every pupil in your current Year/Class selection.
- Click and Drag. To move a pupil (s) just click and drag once you have selected them. You can drag them directly into a new Class (or Year, if it has no Classes within it). You can drag multiple pupils at once.
- Use the Drop Down Box. You can also send selected pupils to another Class/Year by selecting a new class from the drop-down box, then tapping 'Move'.
- Removing/deleting pupils. Once you have selected a pupil, you can choose to delete them from Classlist. This will not remove the parent from Classlist, but will remove their pupil.
Tip: Only delete pupils if you are 100% certain you need to. If you remove a pupil by mistake, send the parent a message. They can re-add a pupil by visiting their profile. If you are unsure where to put a pupil you can always put them in an 'unassigned' year/class until you can check with the parent or school staff.
Hints and tips
It's a good idea to add a new Year group for your New Joiners before the end of the summer term, so that new parents who read about Classlist in Welcome Packs can apply to join and get to know other new joiners over the summer if they want.
Remember you don't have to have classes within your 'year groups' on the school structure. If you have already added a class that you don't need, move the pupils in it to 'unassigned', delete the class using the 'edit' symbol (pencil) and then you can move the pupils back into the year group.
We understand how important it is that this structure correctly mirrors your school, so it is very flexible. We've tried to make sure that setting it up is as quick and easy as possible, but if your school has a more individual structure you may find it takes a bit of effort to get it right. Remember you can always get in touch with our support team and ask to speak to one of our Super-Ambassadors who can help guide you through the process.
If parents have already joined before you had time to set up classes, you may have pupils in a year group in which you need to add classes. It is best to move the pupils out of the year group to do this. Move them to 'unassigned' temporarily (make sure unassigned has no other pupils in already!), add the classes, and then you can move the pupils back into the correct classes for that year group.
Schools have many different sizes and structures: here is more advice on different structures.