One page guide for Staff Admins inviting parents to Classlist
Set up your school's Classlist site (15 mins)
This is often done by a Staff member, or sometimes by the PTA.
- Set up your account at our website
- Make sure you have the correct years and classes listed on the School Structure page.
- Add your school logo and a photo on the School Profile page.
Ask reps to explore and populate Classlist (allow 2-3 days)
- It is helpful for the PTA and parent reps to join Classlist before the other parents, so they can write a few Welcome messages and put up some events and get-togethers for parents to see when they join
- You can give the reps their admin status on Classlist when sending them an email invitation here. Admin status gives them the extra features they will need, such as creating Community events and sending Announcements to any group of parents.
- Ambassadors can also moderate and remove content. If a parent reports a message in the app, then Ambassadors are informed and they can see & remove the message if they decide to. Therefore it is important that you do have at least one Ambassador. Many school appoint several PTA members as Ambassadors. Needing to remove content is rare because parents behave respectfully on Classlist. Our member guidelines are here.
- Ask the PTA Chair to write a welcome message on the School Profile page - that is sent to new joiners 24 hours after they join
- Ask your Ambassadors and reps to add some events, create some interest groups, add some items to the Marketplace
- After parents have joined you can give and change their Admin status at any time via the School Profile page. A summary of the admin roles is here.
- You can invite another Staff Member to be a Classlist Staff Admin too from the School Profile page. There is more about the different admin roles here.
Launch Classlist and invite every parent (30 mins)
- Send a letter to parents via your usual school system saying you will be inviting them to Classlist shortly. Here is a template letter and there are other options here. This gives your parents notice you will invite them and gives them the chance to let you know if they wish to opt out of being invited, which is rare.
- Then invite all the parents from the Invite Parents page on Classlist using their email addresses. We recommend you invite both parents. Here is a guide to uploading the emails. It is easiest to upload a csv/spreadsheet with parent email and class details. An invitation will be sent to each parent when you input the emails, add a message, and choose 'send'.
You can also just copy and paste in a batch of email addresses to invite parents quickly, class by class or individually.
- Parents invited by admins with their email address entered into Classlist will be auto-approved.
- These parents will receive a copy of admin announcements sent once they have been invited (even if they haven't joined yet), meaning that all parents can be reached by your reps & admins via Classlist right away.
Therefore if your parents are moving over from WhatsApp or email, reps can be assured they can reach all parents via Classlist right away, including those who weren't in a WhatsApp group, and those who are new.
- If you specify year and class when you invite the parents, they will receive announcements sent to the year or class.
- There are several other ways to invite parents too, such as generating a QR code flyer to give out at new family induction meetings. Those QR codes pre-approve families too.
- Parents who register without an invitation need individual approval by an admin.
- We also recommend you add details about Classlist and our logo and link to your school website and parent portal, and put details of Classlist in your new family induction pack.
Our Community Playbook with more details of best practice on launching a Classlist community can be found attached below.
There are several flyers and videos that you can share with parents to help them get started with Classlist.