Using Classlist to take payment for tickets can save your Parents' Association a serious amount of time, especially if you take payment for tickets exclusively online.
"Buying tickets via Classlist is hassle-free for parents. They can choose to pay on their credit card – and it’s done. They don’t have to write a cheque or find someone to give the money to. It’s also far easier for the PTA because there’s no chasing people for payment or reconciling money. It saves everyone time. We sold out tickets in two batches. The second batch of 300 tickets sold in just 20 minutes!" Kelly Walsh, organiser of the Summer Ball at St George’s School in Weybridge, Surrey
"We’ve already organised a quiz night where people paid for their tickets online. I think it cut my time as treasurer by about 75%, probably because I wasn’t chasing after cheques from junior school, cheques from senior school, cheques all over the place. It was really, really great to just have that ‘go on and buy a ticket online’ system." Lin Skinner, Treasurer PSA Sydenham High School
Taking payment with Stripe
We are very excited to bring parents a new, really neat way to buy tickets on Classlist. Now parents can buy tickets directly with their bank card on Classlist and will have a far smoother experience on the mobile with our with our new integration with payment provider, Stripe.
Stripe's standard fee also is lower than PayPal's meaning that it's less imperative for your PTA to apply for charitable status with Stripe - although you can if you wish to reduce your fees further.
How to get started
You can set up a Stripe Connect account for your Parents' Association the first time you sell tickets on Classlist using Stripe. You'll be directed to Stripe to set one up. If you already have a Stripe account for your PTA you can just login to your existing Stripe account.
How to sell tickets for your community event on Classlist
- When creating your community event on the green admin side, click on 'Add Tickets', choose the 'Paid' option and select 'Get Paid Using Stripe'.
- Enter details of your tickets e.g. School Disco, £5.00, and the number of tickets available.
- You can add multiple ticket types for your event if you wish - great if you want to offer individual tickets as well as family tickets, or tickets with the extra option of food, for example.
- You can also add group tickets (eg 1 table for 8 people) alongside individual tickets, click here for more info.
- You can also ask parents a question which will be added as a note to their ticket. For example, you might want to ask who will be picking up their child for safeguarding, or if their child has any allergies you need to be aware of.
- Sign in to your Stripe account to which you wish to receive payment (or set up your new Stripe account).
- Then, invite guests by clicking on the 'invite' button and selecting whether to send the invite to the whole school, a particular class, year or group.
- If you want to buy your own tickets to the event - or to see how the event will appear on Classlist to other parents - switch to the blue parent side and go to the event.
- Parents buying tickets don't need a Stripe account, they just use their credit or debit card (VISA, Mastercard, American Express accepted), which is easy to enter quickly.
Please note Stripe's standard fee is 1.4% + £0.20 per transaction (plus 10p when funds are transferred to your account). This is significantly lower than PayPal's standard fee. (See below to find out more about how fees are calculated and our tip on how to save on the transfer fee!) Please check Stripe's website for the very latest on their fees.
Classlist will also be charging a small platform fee of 0.5% on Stripe tickets of £3.00 and above towards the cost of providing paid tickets on the platform. We've set our fee to be super low in comparison to other online ticket providers as we are committed to supporting school communities and the core features of the Classlist app are all still free. We cover the all costs of in app messaging & emails, hosting your school's Classlist site, development of the app & technical support.
- Once you've put your tickets on sale, don't forget to check out our 'manage event' features
From the green admin side if you go into your event you will see an option in the guest list section to send a message. The 3 dots next to each category also allow you to view the list of parents, download a list of who is going or resend the invite to those that haven't responded yet..
- Apply for charitable status to reduce your Stripe fees further
- Set your Stripe account to manual payouts to minimise the transfer fee
We recommend that you set your Stripe account to manage payments manually. Stripe transfers money each day that your account is in credit as a default. This can be handy for many organisations who are taking large amounts of money. However, as Stripe apply a 10p charge for each transfer, we feel for a Parents' Association it would be better to set this to manual and simply transfer your money in one go at the end of your event - meaning you would pay the transfer fee just once. You can change this in Balance, Settings.
- Ask your treasurer to add you as a user to the PTA's stripe account
If your treasurer or another member of your team sets up the Stripe Connect Account for your PTA, they can add you as as user on that account so you can connect to it and sell tickets too.
- Before putting tickets for sale check you are logged in to the correct Stripe account
- Take part in our fundraising scheme to generate even more money for your PTA
How are the Stripe fees calculated?
The Stripe fee is calculated on the sale price of your ticket. So if you are selling a ticket for £5.00 then you will be charged 1.2% + 20p per transaction on the price of this, working out at a cost of £0.27 for the ticket. You will also be charged 10p each time funds are transferred to your Stripe Account. We strongly recommend you set payouts to manual on your Stripe account so you can just transfer your funds in one go at the end of the event and pay the 10p just once, otherwise Stripe will transfer funds each day that your Stripe account is in credit.
How is the Classlist fee calculated?
The Classlist fee is calculated on the sale price of your ticket. So if you are selling a ticket for £5.00 then you will be charged 0.5% on the price of this, working out at £0.03 per ticket.
How are the fees applied?
Parents will still only pay the ticket price e.g. £5.00. The Stripe fees & Classlist fee will be deducted before the ticket proceeds are passed to your Parents' Association's Stripe account.
I have an event set up on Classlist with PayPal - what's happening?
We are still supporting PayPal for current paid events but will be removing it soon for new events. If you want to find out more information about selling tickets via PayPal you can find it here
I can't see the Stripe option when I'm adding tickets to my event
You'll need to be on the latest version of the iOS App to choose the Stripe payment option. If your mobile isn't set to update apps automatically you can visit the App Store, find Classlist and click on 'Update'.
Using Classlist to sell tickets to your events will help your Parents' Association run events more easily, freeing up time for you team to do more fundraising, and will help make your current events even more successful. We've had PTAs tell us that their firework's night and summer balls have sold out in minutes on Classlist. Good luck!