The time is coming soon for you to welcome new joiners to your school. Below are some ideas on how you can get Classlist ready for them. We also have a short video with tips.
New parents are highly motivated to ensure their children make friends, they are open to new friendships themselves and keen to support the school and volunteer. They’ll also be more open to the values and behaviour that you wish to instil within your school community. Therefore focussing on new parents is a good way of building engagement.
We recommend you have the Classlist App ready to introduce to parents before your new joiners visit this term so they can communicate and share contact details on Classlist from the start.
It only takes a few minutes to get Classlist ready. Here is what do to
Go to the School Structure page
- Add a new yeargroup for your entry year such as ‘All Reception Joiners 2019’
- ‘All’ puts it at the top of the list alphabetically and easy to find.
- Add another ‘year group’ called ‘All other Joiners 2019’ if your new member will be joining before your current members have moved into their new classes
- Add your new classes to the Reception joiners year. Add ‘2019-20’ to the class name to avoid confusion with your current Reception classes
- Add classes within the ‘All Other Joiners’ for each year group that has pupils joining. Eg Year 1 Joiners, Year 2 Joiners. These are temporary groups for joiners until you move them into their year with your existing members.
Moving pupils to another class
You can move pupils to another class easily. Select the pupils, then select the class you want to move them to and click ‘move’. You can move multiple pupils at once.
Now you can Invite the new parents using their email address. If you do this before the Welcome Meeting they will be pre-approved, which is helpful for them as some may join that day!
eg A member of the school’s Admin team can copy of all the parent email addresses from the school system to invite them to Classlist. This is allowed under GDPR. [see Help Centre article.]
Go to the Invite Parents page
You can copy and paste all the emails in one batch into Classlist on the Invite Parents page.
The parents will receive an email invitation.
They will be pre-approved too.
A member of the school’s Admin team can copy of all the parent email addresses from the school system to invite them to Classlist. This is allowed under GDPR. [see Help Centre article.]
In other schools PTAs collect new parent email addresses at the Welcome meeting to invite them to Classlist that day.
Remember that there are lots of ways to invite parents to Classlist such as using contacts in your phone, WhatsApp and Facebook, handing out flyers, putting info in the school newsletter.
Other tips for you Welcome meeting
Before your welcome meeting ask parents with children joining to volunteer to act as reps. Some of your current parents with children joining can be encouraged to help with answering questions, arranging welcome events, and being friendly. However it is also nice to ask for volunteer reps from new families as they may be keen.
- at the meeting, introduce your PTA and parent reps. Ask them to explain what it means to be part of the parent community at your school.
- Give them stickers to wear, so new parents can spot them
- Introduce Classlist. Ask parents to download the app during the meeting. Some schools even get parents to register there and then!
- Hand out Classlist flyers
- some PTAs collect new parent email addresses at the Welcome meeting to invite them to Classlist that day. Here is an example form
- You could discuss your expectations of positive online behaviour and let them know that Classlist's member guidelines state that Classlist should not be used to complain about the school or people connected with the school
- suggest families arrange to meet up before school starts, so that the new pupils can make friends. They can arrange this on Classlist.
Good luck with making your new families feel welcome.